Why seek mentorship through the AUTM Mentor Match Program?
• Receive guidance on how to grow and advance your career in academic technology commercialization from someone who has been in your shoes.
• Grow your professional network through your mentor and their connections. Experienced people know other experienced people.
• Exposure to different experiences and different ways of thinking.
• A sounding board and a "reality check" for your approaches to dealing with career situations and challenges.
Why become a Mentor?
• An opportunity to give back. When you were first getting started in your career, others helped you find your way; now you can help someone else find theirs.
• AUTM as an organization has always been about professional development and excellence. Being a mentor allows you to play your part as an individual.
• An opportunity to be exposed the new thoughts and fresh ideas from your mentee.
- • As a guide for both Mentors and Mentees please view the Mentorship Roadmap specifically designed for AUTM's Mentorship Program.
You can apply to our AUTM Mentor Match program in four simple steps:
Complete your AUTM profile. Make sure your contact information is up to date, add a recent professional profile picture, expand on your bio and import your education and job history information from LinkedIn. Having a complete and accurate profile is crucial to the success of selection and matching. Profile complete? Return to this page for step 2.
Are you looking to be a mentor or mentee? Perhaps both? Sign up:
• Enroll as a Mentor
• Enroll as a Mentee
Make selections for each of the program demographics to set your preferences. Demographics include: topics, venue, specialties, career stage and start/end date. Please note that some fields are required for enrollment. The more information you provide, the easier it will be to make the best match. Keep in mind in order to request a mentor or mentee, you must be enrolled in the program.
Search for a mentee
• IP Valuation
Search for a mentor
Use the Mentor Program Directory to input your search criteria. Choose from a wide variety of topics including, but not limited to:
• Office Management
• Royalty Structures
You can also take advantage of features to help you find and recruit matches:
• Track your mentoring relationships
• Participate in discussion forums on mentoring topics
• Search for helpful mentoring resources
Congratulations! You're all set. You completed steps 1-3 and are now ready for the fun stuff. Let the mentoring begin. Do one search or multiple searches. If you're unsure of the search criteria, select "Search for ALL of the selected values." The Mentor Program Directory will do the work for you and populate the results.
When you find someone with whom you'd like to establish a mentor/mentee connection, click on that member's name. The link will bring you to their profile page. Look around. If you think it's a desired match, look under their profile image for the Mentor Match badge. Click the badge to request a connection. If it's not a desired match, you can simply select the back button and return to your previous search results.